My characters

Got questions? He's got answers!
MiG

My characters

Post by MiG »

Eherrm, I feel a little embarrassed for asking this Mr. Davis since I know you get this question put to you quite a lot but would you mind taking a look at some of the characters I've designed throughout the years? I've received a lot of comments about them but never from a true professional artist such as yourself and I'm wondering, would any of these work as a character? I've been thinking about making my own comic book for some time now even though it might never reach the printing stage but a professional opinion from an artist I respect tremendously would be of a great help for me. That is if you have the time to look at them, if not I understand.

Guillermo

Post by Guillermo »

Sorry for posting here, MiG, since its the post of Mr.Davis the one that really matters. But if you ask me, you have some nice work done there, I like a lot the number 25.
MiG

Post by MiG »

Thank you Guillermo and no worries, of course every comment counts :wink: Now I'll take a look and see which one of them is nr 25 :)
jasonb

Great Designs.

Post by jasonb »

Dear MIG

Sorry I am taking up some more of the reply space. I have to say I think your character designs are great. A cool mixture of Comic book/Sci-fi and demonic looking characterisation. I can see that your art is very reminicent of Mr Davis' style. I mean no disrespect by that comment/observation as your work is very good.

You should try making some background storys and pitching the idea's to Wild storm, I think they would look great on the pages of Authority.

Also I found this site last night, it's a character design blog.
Try: www.characterdesign.blogspot.com they allow you to post and have your portfolio reveiwed.
Give it atry and keep up the good work.

Yours sincerly Jas.
MiG

Post by MiG »

Thank you Jason and no problem, it's a forum so everyone's invited ;)

As for the Davis resemblance, there's no mystery to that since Mr. Davis along with John Byrne and others of equal greatness was one of my major influences when I started out trying to make anything worthwhile so I'm not surprised at all if there are parts of it to be seen here and there. And no, I don't take offense, I take it as a compliment instead :) Thank you also for the link, I'll check it out
DungeonmasterJim

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

I didn't want to post before Mr. D had a chance to respond but since the dam has burst...

I think these are terrific! I'm not sure which I like best because I like the quality on all of them.

Very nice work.

DM Jim
MiG

Post by MiG »

Thank you Jim and again, no problem ;)
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

There are obviously some nice pieces of drawing here, MiG easily professional standard illustration, but your question as to whether they would work as ‘characters’ can’t be purely about their visual appeal. Firstly, the proliferation of characters has exhausted the possibility of genuine novelty. It is almost impossible to draw a design that doesn’t look like an existing character or hybrid of characters. Second and far more importantly, a costume design, codename or CV of character traits are nothing without a story. The art and script are the medium not the message.

Alan
MiG

Post by MiG »

Thank you for your reply Mr Davis and also for the kind words on my characters. Yes I am aware of the need for a background story, code-name and such and I do have some of this attached to a few of them. Some of them are part of a super hero team and there's a story under development as well.

And you're definitely correct about the fact that it's virtually impossible to design unique characters these days, there's way too many variations around already to make any of them to really stick out from the crowd.

Anyway, now I know that my mode of drawing might very well be up to par with the standards in comic book illustrations which is what I wanted to know. Thank you again for the reply and the comment about my guys up there, it really made my day.