dear Mr. Davis...

Got questions? He's got answers!
JohnnyBoyB

dear Mr. Davis...

Post by JohnnyBoyB »

Mr. Davis:

I've just finished reading Modern Masters vol. 1, and I must confess that it was fun to learn and discover a lot of interesting things about you.

First of all, I have to tell you this: I'm an aspiring comic artist! I have no hope whatsoever of ever being as good as you are, but since I'm more interested in developing a personal style of my own, I think it's okay. To each its own. I think there too many clones out there anyway...

The first thing I ever saw that had the Alan Davis credit attached to it was the first issue of Excalibur. It was a brazillian translation and the paper quality was poor, but the quality of the art was obvious. Frankly, since I was in my teens back then, what attracted me back then were the girls in Excalibur - you draw beautiful and hot women!! Back then I didn't even know that Captain Britain was a character you had worked for quite some time in Marvel UK, and I only recently discovered that when I bought the CB TPB of the Davis-Moore run.

As time passed on, I felt myself drawn to the titles you were involved in, whether it was Excalibur, Batman, the JLA, the Legion, etc. I still remember when I first bought my copy of Full Circle. I read and I was thrilled! I hadn't read a Batman which was so immediately entertaining, fun, and inspiring for a long time!

I started to realize that all of your work was an incredible boost of inspiration and entertainment! And when I read MM, I realized that that's in part a conscious effort you make - to ultimately write and draw entertaining comics! It's such an understated art these days! With the major two more concerned with sales revenues, competing with each other, throwing at the readers ridiculous crossovers (I mean, who isn't tired of having DC cleaning and rehashing it's universe on and on?!), I almost can't find a decent comic book to read! :(

Anyway, this has gone far enough. Let's just end this by saying: you're one of the best, mr. Davis! You have a huge fan in me!

I'm posting 2 pieces of my work, just to show you what I'm doing right now. One is character that I designed, and the other is a comission done for Voltage Studios for a character published by Ape Entertainment called Magnitude. I hope you like them.

Magnitude

BTW, next time you speak with Mr. Farmer, tell him he's the best inker out there - period! And his story Superboy's Legion is one my favorites!
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Re: dear Mr. Davis...

Post by Matt Platis »

JohnnyBoyB wrote: BTW, next time you speak with Mr. Farmer, tell him he's the best inker out there - period! And his story Superboy's Legion is one my favorites!
I would love to have Mr. Farmer on these boards!
~Matt
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks for the kind words JohnnyboyB.

I believe your drawing style will develop on its own. Style is the accumulation of artistic idiosyncrasies that can be identified as expressions of personality-- how the different artistic systems are combined— or as shortcuts that work. That is, lines and forms that that may not be ‘right’ in a classical sense but that are inherently attractive or appealing in their execution. I believe most good artists aspire for perfection—which would ultimately make them anonymous—but the small flourishes and foibles reveal their character or preferences.

I’m not a fan of the crossovers and events but the reality is that the comics industry wouldn’t still exist if the companies didn’t generate revenue in any way it can. I have been fortunate to be allowed to write and draw the type of comics I like but I am conscious of being categorised as producing ‘old style’ comics or comics that have no depth or substance. It is hard to be positive about the future of comics but without a better solution to the industry wide problems, I am just grateful to do what I do for as long as I can.

I know Mark checks out this Forum but I don’t know when or IF he will make a posting.

Alan
JohnnyBoyB

Post by JohnnyBoyB »

(...)I am conscious of being categorised as producing ‘old style’ comics or comics that have no depth or substance.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I agree that you are an "old style comics" creator, but that doesn't mean your creations have "no depth ou substance". Quite the contrary - if we take a look at what the comic book world is right now, it seems that the "new style" is shallow and predictable, lacking creativity and entertainment.
I’m not a fan of the crossovers and events but the reality is that the comics industry wouldn’t still exist if the companies didn’t generate revenue in any way it can.
Ok, call me naïve, but I think that actually is the greatest problem with comics nowadays - the companies try to generate revenue in anyway they can! We end up with huge events, where they kill characters that they think have no potential left, and reformulate the ones that that they feel are growing tiresome and boring. Rarely are presented with significant stories - just another "new, original and definitive crossover that change everything forever!" - just like the last one, of course, and until the next one, that is!

Enough on my ideas. Don't want to bore you, sir. BTW, what did you think about my drawings? Are they any good?

Thanks for replying my previous post. It was an honor :)
Silvio Spotti

Re: dear Mr. Davis...

Post by Silvio Spotti »

Matt Platis wrote:
JohnnyBoyB wrote: BTW, next time you speak with Mr. Farmer, tell him he's the best inker out there - period! And his story Superboy's Legion is one my favorites!
I would love to have Mr. Farmer on these boards!

I Would to. Mr Farmer talk to us :)