Hello Mr Davis.

Got questions? He's got answers!
jasonb

Hello Mr Davis.

Post by jasonb »

Dear Mr Davis, thank you once again. To be perfctly honest I wasn't at all expecting to have you reply to my E-mail of a thank you. None the less I sincerly appreciate.

Actually, you have me entrigued. Please, I hope you don't mind my inate stupidity, but I really enjoy your personal opion and wondered if you could elaborate on what you wrote?

You said that : "I think the separation of the 'Super-hero' as a form was only ever an aberration and now that Hollywood and TV have started to imitate the stories, forms and styles comics have very little to offer. I think the real problem is the death of narrative appreciation-- which is more to do with reality TV and the demands of sound-bite advertising."

I agree entirely with Hollywood and Tv, picking up and intiminate apon the process of the comic book and the Super-hero genre. Especially, seen through shows like 'Heros' and even the short lived 'Mutant x'. This proves that comic books being over looked as either an art form, literary form and entertainment for so long, is now being seen as perfectly capable art form. However, I do see also how comics are now being dissmissed as Film and t.v reaches a much wider audience.
I think the real problem is the death of narrative appreciation-- which is more to do with reality TV and the demands of sound-bite advertising."

Is this, as I believe a lack of story telling and the creative thought process and imagination that is now seen in shows like 'Big Brother' and 'X factor'?

I sincerely appoligise for any miss spellings and poor use of grammer. Though I am a former English Lit student, I am terrible at grammer.
Please I do not mean anything I write as a personal attack or any such thing. :roll:
Thanks again.
Jason Bailey
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Sorry the third paragraph of that message was not meant to be seen as a quote. As you can tell I am not entirelly computer literate. I also appoligise for words being missing. Stick a fork in me I'm done. :cry:
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Personally i think comics need to adapt. Look at the popularity of manga. i'm not saying that comic styles need to go this route, but with such a variey of subjects people can find things that interest them. Also look at the increase in recent popularity of graphic novels (Pride of Bagdad and American Born Chinese) and in trade paperback.
RIP Kurt Vonnegut and Lloyd Alexander.

Insanity is all in the mind.
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Dear Entopy,

True enough, what helps with creative influence and evalution within artistick styles is to look at other influences. Agreeably these influences and others have seen the rise in the graphic Novel.

I wondered if the rise of the comic book movie has helped comic book sales or hindered them?

Personally, I would have thought for instance the comic book movies such as 'Batman Begins' and the 'Spider-man' trilogy would have new and old fans embracing the comics,however I don't know if thats true.
What's your opion? :)
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

I would have guessed that the movies would have helped the comics, but sadly it really doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that movies have spurred on the sequels, video games, and other merchandise.

I think that part of it has to do with comic prices, specialty comic stores being the almost sole provider of product, and other factors.

It surely doesn't help that so many comics are aimed at adults, take themselves to seriously, etc. Personally my favorite comics tend to be those able to play to both children and adults (like Alan's Clandestine!).
Love the sense of wonderment and adventure in them.

Best,
Jason L. (entropy)
RIP Kurt Vonnegut and Lloyd Alexander.

Insanity is all in the mind.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

“I think the separation of the 'Super-hero' as a form was only ever an aberration…”
Comics used to feature diverse genre-- Western, Sci-Fi, Horror, War, Adventure, Romance, Historical— Much the same as the TV and Film (although usually a little more adventurous and quirky) but due to the technical limitations of TV and Movies at the time, the one area comics could excel was in the Super-hero genre. The ability of an artist was the only limitation with realising impossible action and cosmic spectacle.
“…now that Hollywood and TV have started to imitate the stories, forms and styles comics have very little to offer.”
CGI has allowed movies to compete and maybe even surpass comics with the most recent Superhero films—at least when it comes to action and spectacle. The substance of the Superhero movies themselves is shallow and uninspired—mostly because they are really little more than glorified adverts for merchandise.
“… I think the real problem is the death of narrative appreciation-- which is more to do with reality TV and the demands of sound-bite advertising."
Society has changed. Many of the younger folk I know, who should be the target audience of comics, have no interest in what might be called ‘the experience of story’. They will read magazines with summaries of soaps, movies and even comics rather than watching or reading the real thing. I don’t understand the reasoning, it seems like a statistical appreciation of sport by checking the league tables without ever watching a game.
I agree entirely with Hollywood and Tv, picking up and intiminate apon the process of the comic book and the Super-hero genre. Especially, seen through shows like 'Heros' and even the short lived 'Mutant x'. This proves that comic books being over looked as either an art form, literary form and entertainment for so long, is now being seen as perfectly capable art form. However, I do see also how comics are now being dissmissed as Film and t.v reaches a much wider audience.
It isn’t just that comics have always been overlooked as an ‘Art form’, the majority of people have a definite prejudice against comics and view comic readers as deficient or deviant. Don’t take my word for it, just look at how TV and Movies represent comic readers.
Is this, as I believe a lack of story telling and the creative thought process and imagination that is now seen in shows like 'Big Brother' and 'X factor'?
I’d say 'Big Brother', 'X factor' and all the other reality programmes are scripted to some degree or other but I don’t recognise any ‘creative thought process’. Some say the audience are more sophisticated, others that it is superficial and without the necessary discipline to engage with reading anything. Whatever the truth the audience has changed.
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Dear Mr Davis

Thanks for replying and elaborating on your thoughts. I do understand what you are getting at. For instance, every art teacher I have had in my educational and artistic persuit (One of which is still a good friend of mine) all condemed the comic book as an 'art form'. Seriously trying their hardest to stear students away from comics. It always concerned me, that educationally, teachers disregard the comic book. However, I did and for that matter, still do, protest to this. As I believe, that comics in their unique forms, can educate people on many things. Such as current affairs, taboo subjects, modern concerns and other such topics. As well as building ones imagination. As a boy/man of 21 I never saw why comic books were and as you said
isn’t just that comics have always been overlooked as an ‘Art form’, the majority of people have a definite prejudice against comics and view comic readers as deficient or deviant.
For me personally, it has been comic books that have not just flared my imagnation but also given to me a creative outlet and dream to persue.

I guess coming from the perspective of a man that knows and sees the comic buisness inside and out. Has seen it's ups and downs. Do you believe that some day, maybe even soon. Could we see the end of comic book publishing and distribution?

As always thanks for your time and any one else that replys to my inane rambling and superb ignorance.
All the best. Jas :D