Superboy's Legion

Got questions? He's got answers!
Crusader K

Superboy's Legion

Post by Crusader K »

Hi Alan!

I know that Superboy's Legion was a small part of your career and an interesting experiment, but I just reread the series and absolutely was wishing that you could have done an ongoing with the characters as you re-imagined them. They smiled, had fun, despaired and fought like crazy! And the extreme characters, especially Lightning Lad and Light Lass! I loved them! Kinda foppish but very heroic!

Is there any way you consider a sequel to Superboy's Legion?

And can you post any concept art or costume designs on your site? I loved Sun Boy's and Cosmic Boy's outfits. The Legion always was a costume parade.

Thanks! :wink:
"Now I believe there comes a time, when everything just falls in line.
We live and learn by our mistakes; the deepest cuts are healed by fate"
Bill P

Post by Bill P »

Man, Superboy's Legion was awesome alright. Do you have the Alan Davis Modern Masters, that has some sketches from the Mini-Series, and it describes how Mark Farmer gave one word descriptions to describe each Legionnaire, for Alan Davis to design.

I think Alan Davis said he planned a sequel, but amazingly the sales of the first Mini-series wasn't that great. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'll love to see him tackle the Legion again.
Crusader K

Thanks Bill!

Post by Crusader K »

I actually do have the Modern Masters edition and did see the thumbnails. The one word descriptions were what I meant by the characterizations. Brilliant!

I just wondered if Alan had any other larger sketches or perhaps sketches of Legionnaires that we only saw on the last page, like Blok or . . .Dream Girl?! Yes?!

BTW, Alan, are you EVER going to make it to Pittsburgh some day for our Comicon? I know it's not exactly down the road, but I'd camp out for those tickets!
Bill P

Re: Thanks Bill!

Post by Bill P »

Crusader K wrote:I just wondered if Alan had any other larger sketches or perhaps sketches of Legionnaires that we only saw on the last page, like Blok or . . .Dream Girl?! Yes?!
That would be awesome if he did have sketches of the other Legionnaires!
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Mark farmer had ideas for further ‘Superboy’s Legion. but, sadly, the sales didn’t justify a sequel.

The sketches in the MM book were all I drew— or at least all I have uncovered. They were all scribbled on scraps of paper for the purposes of discussion with Mark and not really intended for print.

Alan
Crusader K

Post by Crusader K »

Alan Davis wrote:Mark farmer had ideas for further ‘Superboy’s Legion. but, sadly, the sales didn’t justify a sequel.

The sketches in the MM book were all I drew— or at least all I have uncovered. They were all scribbled on scraps of paper for the purposes of discussion with Mark and not really intended for print.

Alan
Rats.

Oh well, I still think it was awesome. Maybe some day. . .

And thanks for the quick answer Alan! Always a gentleman!
JohnnyBoyB

Post by JohnnyBoyB »

I simply loved "Superboy's Legion"!!! It was fun and entertaining - with some of the best art ever by the Davis & Farmer dynamic duo! I wished there was more, but it's a shame DC is so sales oriented!
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

The first time I read the series I didn't like it so much and I think that is because I have no familiarity with the characters. After a couple of more reads, I started to really enjoy the series.

I would pick up a sequel easily.
~Matt