Hell, why not another question!

Got questions? He's got answers!
DungeonmasterJim

Hell, why not another question!

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

:D

There are a few debates on other comic forums about artists literally tracing photos into their comic art. Some readers don't mind it, others abhor it and then there's the whole moral and copyright dilema. I was just wondering if you had an opinion on the subject.

Thanks!
Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

In principle I have no problem with an artist copying or tracing photographs—it is a valid way to produce images. In practise I find 90% of the resulting images too uninspiring, flat or superficial to work as comic narrative but that is my personal taste.
The thing I do find objectionable is the artists who clearly trace photographs but deny that they do so. Artists who claim they have a ‘photographic memory’ are idiots… or they think we are -- And the idea that an artist will laboriously copy a detailed cityscape (which is very time consuming) as opposed to just tracing the scene is equally ridiculous. I spoke with a fan earlier this year who had seen a ‘work in progress’ article for a cover where the artists sketch was printed alongside the finished cover. The sketch was a loose amalgam of poorly drawn figures-- the finished image was a composite of polished but obviously traced photographs. The fan said that he thought the sketch and final image clearly had little of nothing to do with each other. I agreed. Another fan overhearing this said we were both wrong because the artist in questions didn’t waste time on the sketch (which was just for editorial approval) because he put all his creative ‘juice’ into the finished image. Some people will believe anything!
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

I believe Marvel issued a letter warning artists not to copy copyrighted photos. I saw it on a forum but can't imagine how I'd find it again, otherwise I would link it. Anyway, photographers are evidently very protective of their work (as they have a right to be).