Question about FF: the End # 1

Got questions? He's got answers!
Paulo Pereira

Question about FF: the End # 1

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Hello Alan,

Noticed a curious thing about this issue. Mark Farmer is credited on the cover, but not on the inside. Inside, it credits you with both Story & Art. Just wondering about this apparent oversight.
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

I had a similar question that I posted on the FF thread in the "Other" section but I'll repost here.....

This first issue is classic Davis! There's a slow setup that promises alot of fun down the road. I'm thrilled to finally be on another all Alan adventure.

One thing I noticed a few pages in was the inking. It was sketchier than usual and I was wondering if Davis' (and/or Farmer's) style was evolving or if there was a new inker. On the cover it says Mark Farmer but the credits are all Davis. On page 9, panel 4, She-Hulk's close-up has a rougher ink that the usual Davis/Farmer look and the following panel had She-Hulk's hand looking alittle pointy. I guess I'm wondering who the inker was. Davis' work could be inked with a mop and it'd be gorgeous!

Another thing I noticed..... What is Valeria pointing at just before the explosion? Is there something to it or is not? Mr. Davis? Any clue?

With MUCH admiration,
Dallas
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Hi Paulo, 'Dallas

Mark did indeed ink the FF The End series and the fact his name was omitted from the credits was an 'oversight'-- but it is the second time Mark has been a victim to this kind of 'oversight 'and one can't help wondering if it is part of the mindset that seeks to diminish the contribution of the inker while colourists (and letterers) have been given an inflated presence.

'Dallas, I don't think Mark's inks are rougher, certainly not on the original art and I will post a couple of pages on my site so you will be able to see for yourself (And then you can post a suitably gracious apology for daring to utter such blasphemy against the 'Sultan of Slick'). Seriously though, both Mark and I have continued to evolve our styles, usually in an attempt to minimise the damage the colourist can inflict, so there may be times when things may not gel as well as others-- BUT I can honestly say that I don't know any other comic pro who is as dedicated and hard-working as Mark.

Alan
wonderdallas

Post by wonderdallas »

Oh I knew I'd get some crap for using the word "rough"! :) I certainly didn't mean it to be a negative comment. There are many great artists who have a sketchy style. I offer my sincerest apology if I've offended anyone.

Maybe I just love the art so much..... inspecting it so closely... that I'm seeing the texture of the original surface! I really should stop reading my comics with a 15X loop!

Seriously, I love the art. Funny, about changing styles, I was looking at some of your late 80s work and you certainly have evolved your work to a level I couldn't have imagined back then. Ever since Batman and the Outsiders you've been my fave artist..... I'm so happy to see you continuously reaching.

Anything to the Valaria question?

-Dallas
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Thanks for the response, Alan. Shame they left off Mark's name; he's been a favorite of mine for a while, not least because he's inked your pencils for the past decade and a half. At least the colorist did a good job (and didn't overpower the artwork).