I know you can't give too much away, but........

Got questions? He's got answers!
Row

I know you can't give too much away, but........

Post by Row »

Hi Alan,

I'm still overjoyed at the return of The ClanDestine.

One thing I'd like to know ( if possible?), will you be delving into the story of what transpired between Adam and Vincent? Or will you be teasing us with little bits of info here and there in the new stories?

The reason I ask is the dynamic and expectation it creates between Adam. Kay. Dom and Walter for the reader, in much the same way that Wolverine ' unknown' history always did ( before the half-arsed attempt to explain it.....and the loss of some of the characters mythos)

Either way, I'm looking forward to the return.

All the best.

Row
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

I sure hope so!

I was re-reading the Clan stuff about a week ago and there are a few little mysteries I am hoping to see. One about Dom that I cannot remember...
~Matt
Moonboy

Re: I know you can't give too much away, but........

Post by Moonboy »

Row wrote: The reason I ask is the dynamic and expectation it creates between Adam. Kay. Dom and Walter for the reader, in much the same way that Wolverine ' unknown' history always did
Row
Well the history about Wolvie became a bore because we had to wait 35689755664 issues before to have it (I stopped Marvel Comics (expect all Alan work of course) long before by the way and I still don't know..).
Clan Destine has just 10 issues so I think we can deal a little more with little bits... If we have the story it's fine for me too! :roll:
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

My motivation to create the ClanDestine was more about the type of stories I wanted to tell than about the characters-- in the usual superhero format.
The proliferation of comics had made it difficult to do anything truly 'new' so the creative process can become about contemporising and repackaging the codenames and costumes to disguise the fact the same old characters are reliving the same scenarios with only the flimsiest coating of contemporary varnish. In a nutshell, I didn't believe it was/is possible to create an original visual design or power so I accepted the limitations, attempted to exploit the clichés, and focused on the back-story and family dynamic to, hopefully, make a real difference.

The only definite decision I took was to avoid spinning stories out for the sake of longevity. Vincent's story was and is a story I'd like to tell but there are a few twists and turns to get the characters in place for the revelations and fallout to have a real emotional impact. This may sound clinical and manipulative- and in the early stages of planning it was-- but after the characters are formed it feels more like being fair in the way a family's history is put into context. Some stories and characters really do take on a life of their own.

Alan
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Hmmm, I'd definitively like to see this hidden part of the Clan's story. But I understand Alan's concerns. It sometimes can take an important number of issues to build a great story.
Look at Excalibur. The Necrom/Anti-Phoenix story was something like 12 issues long, and still is one of the best !
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
HardBoiledHenry

Post by HardBoiledHenry »

Diablo wrote:Hmmm, I'd definitively like to see this hidden part of the Clan's story. But I understand Alan's concerns. It sometimes can take an important number of issues to build a great story.
Look at Excalibur. The Necrom/Anti-Phoenix story was something like 12 issues long, and still is one of the best !
I totally agree, Diablo. The Necrom/Anti-Phoenix is one of my favorite story lines, too. One of the impressive ways Alan tells stories is how he has his readers on edge with each story(clinffhanger more or less).

I also like how Alan tied much of the loose ends after Claremont's departure from Excalibur e.g. Kylun's (mature) intro to the series. Which was quite a task since Claremont seems to have many ideas and sub-plots (epilogues, etc) all going at once. I can't remember if Claremont's ideas were collaborative tasks or completely his own, but Alan writes it with satisfied results that would make Claremont or any writer/creator proud.

Alan's character developement is nothing like I've ever read thereafter (since picking up comicbook reading in 91'). His IS the best. Very well thoughtout for the story while always keeping the integrity of the character. For instance, he was the only writer to have ever made sense of Rachel Grey Summers (thank you!). Plus, I think he made the most developed Nightcrawler ever in powers, character, and leadership. For that, I'll never forget the N-Men (the Crazy Gang, i.e. Nightcrawler's Men)!

And who can't forget the moment in Excalibur #50 when all Excailbur team-mates joined as one to make a hulking Captain Britian? I so totally bought that idea. (Do you know I said "What da fu*k?!" :o like ten times when I read that for the first time, lol). That's a genious, right there!

Sorry for being long winded, but nobody tells a story like Alan Davis. Nobody. 8)

ImageImageImage

Yes, can't wait to see what develops with the Vincent story. Quite the mystery on the original series of Clan Destine.
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

HardBoiledHenry wrote: I think Alan made the most developed Nightcrawler ever in powers, character, and leadership. For that, I'll never forget the N-Men (the Crazy Gang, i.e. Nightcrawler's Men)!
Amen to that, bub ! :)

Plus, I think this Anti-Phoenix storyline is of "Dark phoenix" storyline level. It's a very underestimated piece of work, which I refer to very often when I speak about comic books. And what they should be.
Epic. Frightening. Well constructed.
And very, very imaginative.
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !