I'm back from Aviles...

Got questions? He's got answers!
Cesar Madarro

I'm back from Aviles...

Post by Cesar Madarro »

Dear Alan and everyone.

I've just got home after an afternoon in Aviles.
I must say I'm a bit sad bacause I could not find you. Once I arrived I asked everyone, and they said you were seen in the cafe next to the building, but you were already gone.
I asked again a bit later and someone said you and a woman were sitting upstairs in a sofa...I checked 3 times upstairs and I did not see you.
Then I went back to one of the people in charge of everything (the one who introduced you in the morning) and told me you had been there only 20 minutes before I asked...
So far, so close to one of my greatest heroes for about 16 years...

So I could not get my Clandestine# 1 signed...

In that cafe next to the building I met Mark Buckingham, and he was very kind reviewing my art and helping with some pieces of advice.

But thanks for being there Alan, somewhere.

And thanks for the words about my art some years ago. Here are some of the new pieces I wanted you to watch this afternoon. So influenced by your art and that comedy style from the Excalibur days...

I met DC's editor Ed Berganza and he said I had some talent but a lot of things should be changed. First, the angles of the "camera" shouldn't be all so frontal.
Also, my art is not part of the mainstream style these days. He said they are looking for stuff which looks more like real pictures (take a look at their covers these days).
I said all my influences came from my heroes, namely you, Byrne or Romita Jr. He said I should learn more from reality images instead.
I think he's right but I wonder if my art can change so much to be cool...
Last edited by Cesar Madarro on Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cesar Madarro's Art Online

www.iespana.es/persuader
poison_mouth

Re: I'm back from Aviles...

Post by poison_mouth »

Cesar Madarro wrote:I think he's right but I wonder if my art can change so much to be cool...
Your art is already cool, Cesar. It reminds me a little of Frank Quitely, another artist that isn't mainstream.
Cesar Madarro

Post by Cesar Madarro »

Thanks for your words Poison, I'm glad you like it.
Cesar Madarro's Art Online

www.iespana.es/persuader
Darren Taylor

Post by Darren Taylor »

By the time you've learned to fit in with one companies idea of 'cool' they will have moved on to another idea of the same! [Let's face it, a change in the Editor or Editor-in-chief could do that over night!]

Drawing from life is -never- bad advice but I've seen your work around for a while now and I think it's great, not saying it's beyond improvement, clearly there is always room for improvement in any artists case.

Your time might be better spent securing what jobs you can. Reliability is a commodity that can sometimes trancend any requirements of what's cool and what's not. Then in time what's cool might be what you are producing, thus is the cyclic nature of things.