Permission of use (coloring)

Got questions? He's got answers!
Joel Harris

Permission of use (coloring)

Post by Joel Harris »

Alan,
Firstly, I'm a huge fan of your work and have been for decades (not to put a fine point on either of our ages!).

I'm also an aspiring artist/colorist, and I was hoping to receive your permission to use some of your black and white pieces as samples for my coloring portfolio. For instance, I colored your and Mark's Inhumans pinup (scanned initially from your Modern Masters book): http://www.jomihacustoms.com/jmh/inhumansrevised.jpg

I'd love to use more of your work as basis for my coloring samples in portfolios and on my website, but I wouldn't want to use any images without your permission.

Thanks so much. You're truly an inspiration. (And I've learned quite a bit reading your thoughts on digital coloring in today's comics! Eep!)

Joel
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I'm sorry, Joel but because of the actions of a few fraudsters not only must I refuse my permission I have been advised to state that… I OBJECT to anyone using the imagery I post on my site for ANY reason.
This is one of those 'thin-end-of-the-wedge' things were, although your intention may be above board, there are those who have used the images I have posted for fraudulent profit. I am sorry to have to be so negative when you have been gracious and polite but I hope you understand that I can’t make any exceptions.

Alan
Joel Harris

Post by Joel Harris »

Alan, thanks so much for getting back to me. I appreciate it, and I completely understand your answer. I realize many people would display your work without asking, so I thought it only right to hear your thoughts directly.

I do have one more question along the same vein...

If I purchase your original art, can I post a scan of it in my Comic Art Fans gallery? (http://www.comicartfans.com)

Thanks again!
A fan,
Joel
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

The permission isn't mine to give, Joel. Marvel and DC return the original art as a 'gift'-- they hold ALL of the rights to the image/page content. This is just one of the issues that make it necessary for me to formally object to anyone using or abusing the images I post on my site.

Alan
Joel Harris

Post by Joel Harris »

Understood. Thanks once more for being gracious enough to reiterate the facts for me. :)
poison_mouth

Post by poison_mouth »

Alan, would it be possible to create some artwork featuring some generic super-types that aspiring comic artists could download and practise on? That way you could actively discourage misuse of copyrighted material while simultaneously encouraging and inspiring young artists!

Just a suggestion! :)
Robin Riggs
Creator/Esteemed Guest

Post by Robin Riggs »

Alan Davis wrote:Marvel and DC return the original art as a 'gift'
I wouldn't want to see this little snippet go out onto the internet without noting that while Marvel may still try and say that they're gifting us the physical artwork it's been nearly 20 years now since Dick Giordano, Paul Levitz and Jenette Kahn said that "The return of artwork is an artist's inalienable right."

I just like to drop that in whenever I can. :)
-- Robin.

See my portfolio online at
http://www.robinriggs.com/Pages/folio/folio.html
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Alan, would it be possible to create some artwork featuring some generic super-types that aspiring comic artists could download and practise on?
This might be helpful to anyone with an interest in inking or colouring but what I had hoped to do by posting roughs, layouts and pencils was to encourage people to draw for themselves. Also, tracing images as practise is one thing-- using the images to fill a portfolio, post on a website OR to sell as originals is quite another.
That way you could actively discourage misuse of copyrighted material...
The only sure way to stop any abuse of the images I post is to stop posting images. Like my Mum used to say, "It's the one bad apple that spoils it for the rest."
... simultaneously encouraging and inspiring young artists!
I hope that my site will encourage and inspire young artists to be pencillers and storytellers-- which is where I can claim some expertise.

Alan
poison_mouth

Post by poison_mouth »

OK. That'll teach me for being all enthusiastic.
Joel Harris

Post by Joel Harris »

Good effort though. ;) You never know until you ask.