Writing

Got questions? He's got answers!
Kroco

Writing

Post by Kroco »

Hello Alan, can I call you Alan? No? :|...ok, mister Davis. :p

It seems that you can't work normaly with your broken wrist, as drawner anyway. Did you consider working more as story teller with other drawner or not?

You are one of the more interisting writer in the comics world, because the evolution and interaction of all the caracters are realy importante.

ps: I do my best, sorry for the errors.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

'Alan' is fine and thank you for the compliment, Kroco. I'd like to think that even if my stories lack a literary flair they are at least interesting and entertaining-- though I don't delude myself that I would get as much work if I wasn't prepared to pencil my own stories. But I wouldn't have it any other way... I'm a storyteller first and foremost.

Just in case anyone thinks I have my wrist in a cast and cannot draw, I should maybe clarify that my wrist isn't broken. I did break it when I was thirteen and, with age, the bone I broke has led to an unstable wrist joint which is more inconvenient than incapacitating.
I have chosen to reduce my working day to exercise the joint in the hope of stalling the progressive decay and to, hopefully, postpone the day when the instability might become a real problem. I usually allow myself six weeks to write and pencil an issue but with the FF:END I have been averaging around eight weeks.

Alan
Kroco

Post by Kroco »

But with your ability for the writing, you must be, sometime, frustrated with some of the story you have to do. It seams to be a real problème in the way comics work. The writer and drawner are so easely change. It's what make me stop looking for comic for a long time. It's excalibur who make me collect comics after a stop, becouse it was no change. But not for long. I did not buy the one with the wedding, even if ou make the cover. The drawn IN the comics was such a shame. Don't you thing the looking for a real quality would be best for marvel, dc comics ans co ?
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I do sometimes disagree with the direction a writer takes but unless I am being asked to compromise my beliefs about what is appropriate for comics I try to do the best I can with the plot/script I am given.

Quality is subjective and I'm sure there are many creators who do the best they can within the constraints of deadlines and 'the system' but fail. The bottom line is that Comics are a business so decisions affecting creativity are often influenced by financial concerns.