supporting character Nigel

Got questions? He's got answers!
DungeonmasterJim

supporting character Nigel

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

Hello Alan,

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the supporting character Nigel from Excalibur.

I always kinda liked his bafoonery with Rachel and the results it got him. Then Chris Claremont got a little bizarre by making him Vixen and then you killed him.

I'm going to guess that Claremont turned him into a woman/Vixen as sort of a play on a 'macho' guy suddenly having the tables turned on him. And I get the feeling you killed him because the character deserved it since he was a fairly spineless snot.

But it must've been fun writing such a character I gather. Or am I wrong?

Thanks,

Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Hi Jim

I can't really say what Chris had planned for Nigel but I viewed his transformation as one of those gimmicky things that was a good twist for a story but couldn't really go anywhere-- at least not in a comic of that era. I felt Nigel was an interesting background character who had served a purpose but couldn't hold the limelight. And I had hoped to take the series off into another direction that required a reordering of the criminal hierarchy... IF I had stayed with the book.

Alan
DungeonmasterJim

Thank you for the reply.

I'd love to hear any and all things Excalibur including plans you never got to fully write about because it was my all-time favorite comic.

Thanks.

Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I don't know that it would be very interesting, Jim. Summarised stories are usually reduced to a list of clichés.
It is the way in which ideas are executed and integrated that bring them to life.

But having said that, the story where Merlyn returned to exact a terrible revenge on Excalibur by transferring Sat Yr 9's consciousness into Meggan while an amnesic Nightcrawler...

... Maybe another time.

Alan
DungeonmasterJim

Thank you sir for the answer.

The Merlin story sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Unfortunately I don't expect to ever see it because it seems Chris Claremont has Sat YR 9 impersionating Courtney Ross and as the new White Queen in the Hellfire Club in current issues of New Excalibur. :cry:

But one can wish. :) I think I'd be interested in seeing what forms Sat YR 9 would make Meggan's body. Evil pyschotic women are such fun to write! :twisted:

Jim
DungeonmasterJim

But having said that, the story where Merlyn returned to exact a terrible revenge on Excalibur by transferring Sat Yr 9's consciousness into Meggan while an amnesic Nightcrawler...

... Maybe another time.
After rereading this, I'm thinking this may have been a bit of a joke and my geeky fanboyness sucked it right up? :oops: :lol:

Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

A cross-dimensional train powered by a dragon, a broken-necked psychopath with a unique vision of string theory, a lighthouse filled with aliens (And the product of an illegal union of alien and mythical beast), a mutant with the remarkable ability of verbal impersonation, exploding toilets, a cannibalistic Captain Britain, lip massage and the ultimate menace Hard Boiled Henry.

It all started as a joke...

Alan
DungeonmasterJim

exploding toilets
Always a personal favorite. :lol:

Recently saw a thing on string theory. I wanted to be interested but it was soooooooooooo boring. :( But I never knew before that show that some of Einstein's theories of light and gravity slammed head on with electromagnetism and none of the them can fully explain the universe. Apparently string theory can, but string theory according to the show can never be proven to actually exist. I forgot why but the show was an episode of Nova.

Jim
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

The strings/membranes predicted by 'String Theory' (theories) and 'M theory' are way too small to be verified experimentally-- not to mention that they might also exist in/across higher dimensions.

Alan
Row

Post by Row »

If I remember correctly from an episode of 'Horizon' ( A UK science show), for M theory to work correctly and explain the universal expansion from the Big Bang onwards in conjunction with the theory of relativity and with other branches of theorectical physics, it was calculated that there has to be 11 dimensions..rather than earlier versions with less dimensions that were first put forward.

All the best.

Row
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Anyone interested in understanding a bit more about the various String Theories or M Theory-- or why 11 dimensions has been predicted-- might like to check out Michio Kaku's 'Hyperspace' or, better still, Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe'. The rarefied mathematics that have generated the various theories are far beyond ordinary mortals (certainly one who has to remove his shoes and sock to count above ten) but I found 'the Elegant Universe' to be extremely accessible and informative.

Alan
eduardo

Post by eduardo »

Hi Alan,

Yes, we will like more unconclused ideas for Excalibur that you had planned.....

Now re-reading all your work in Excalibur I determined that Alan Moore and in a more strong way, made Merlyn a mother f***** always playing with Captain, his powers and his own daughters like ragdolls.......

Could be a Excalibur: The End in a future, a perfect brochure your your work in Excalibur????
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Thanks for the suggestion, Eduardo. I'll keep it in mind.

Alan
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Wow. An Excalibur : the end series woul sure be on the top of my buying liste. I disn't thought about it, but it's a neat idea !
Rock is alive :
www.atlantys.biz

All about Nightcrawler in one place :
www.bamfcentral.com

THE CLAN DESTINE IS BACK !!
YIIIIIII-HAAAAAAA !
Michael P

Post by Michael P »

I second that. Excalibur: The End. Would be amazing.

Alan, I always loved Nigel Frobisher. Would you agree that he was one of the first transgendered/transexual characters in comics?