new and old

Got questions? He's got answers!
jaxel

new and old

Post by jaxel »

hi alan,

Hands down you are my favorite artist. It's interesting to see the transformation from your early days to now. What do you think about that work when you look back at it now?
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Hi Jaxel

Most times I cringe and wonder how I could have got things so wrong. But, having said that, the aspect of comics that keeps me interested is the pursuit of trying to get 'it' right-- IF I ever managed to do work that I was truly happy with there would be no point continuing. The challenge is the motivation.

Alan
jaxel

2 more

Post by jaxel »

Alan,
Thaks for the reply. Just one more two point question: 1. Did you go to art school? and 2. Do you have any pictures of your self to post as I have never seen a photo of you? Keep up the great work and I can't wait for the new FF.
Robin Riggs
Creator/Esteemed Guest

Re: 2 more

Post by Robin Riggs »

jaxel wrote:2. Do you have any pictures of your self to post as I have never seen a photo of you?
I'm sure Alan will kill me for this but you can see a couple of photos of him from the 2003 Mid Ohio Con along with a few of the sketches he did there in this gallery.
-- Robin.

See my portfolio online at
http://www.robinriggs.com/Pages/folio/folio.html
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

The crouching N.C. is mine! :D

Robin did a phenominal job inking it!
That mid ohio was my first con and btn Alan and Robin it was absolutley FABULOUS! Both were very easy to talk to and very kind. Gentlemen of the highest caliber!
RIP Kurt Vonnegut and Lloyd Alexander.

Insanity is all in the mind.
jaxel

Post by jaxel »

very nice work robin :!:
CAIO REIS

Post by CAIO REIS »

1.Did wou go to art school?
I'm aways curious about how famous artist got started into comics. I wonder if you could tell us what brought you to the comic industry. Was it something you aways wanted to, or you started in another career and "happened" to end up in the comics business, like some guys who started in advertising and moved on to comics or so. Do you think its harder to achieve some level of success now than years ago, when you started?
Row

Post by Row »

Caio,

The 'Modern Masters' book that was published by Twomorrows about Alan will help answer your question about how Alan got into the comics biz, along with a section about the people who have influenced his work.

It's a good read.

All the best.

Row.
When lady luck enters, get her a seat
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

As Row rightly reports, the Modern Masters book would give a more complete answer to your question, Caio-- But the short answer is that I never had any 'formal art training after age 12-- I choose woodwork as my 'craft' option at school with an eye to becoming a carpenter. I also attended an occasional life drawing evening-class between age 24-26... But it was a 'recreational' as opposed to 'academic' course. Other than that, I studied, (now as then), the art of all the artists I liked.

Alan
CAIO REIS

Post by CAIO REIS »

Thanks a lot for the tip!!! :D I'll look into that publication.
jaxel

Post by jaxel »

Where can one find this modern masters?
Robin Riggs
Creator/Esteemed Guest

Post by Robin Riggs »

jaxel wrote:Where can one find this modern masters?
http://tinyurl.com/co8eg
-- Robin.

See my portfolio online at
http://www.robinriggs.com/Pages/folio/folio.html