Inking

Got questions? He's got answers!
Darren Taylor

Inking

Post by Darren Taylor »

I was staring at the Quicksilver and Flash piece you did [http://www.alandavis-comicart.com/images/WJust1Page.jpg] trying to prize out any little gems that I might glean from it, as one does.

In this moment of zen-bliss, it struck me that we don't see -enough- of you inking yourself Alan. I really like the hcross hatching in this example. There is a slightly 'rougher' or more natural quality to the image than the sculpted lines that Mark produces [not a slight, Marks inks are fantastic] It's just another side to the same coin and as such equally interesing [visually] and just as worth exploring.

I was wondering if you might be opposed to inking a full issue [time allowing] of your own work on some future project?

Regards,
Darren
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I have never really regarded myself as an inker. The Batman/Superman page I posted on my site, pencilled by Paul Neary, is the first time I have ever inked another artist.

Printing quality was considerably lower when I first started work in British comics and inking was regarded as the final stage of drawing rather than adding a definite finish or character to the linework.

I am too impatient to ink on a regular basis-- or at least to ink with any degree of polish.