First Try

Got questions? He's got answers!
Kroco

First Try

Post by Kroco »

Hello, it's less a question that a wish, is it possible to see some of your first outline of the caracter you make. Like the first time try to do kitty pride, or serval.
Is that possible? :shock: ?

:oops: Thank you.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I rarely do any significant character designs and have never drawn model sheets or warm up sketches.
With existing characters I study the versions I think are best and try to pull the disparate parts together by imagining the character as a real person (someone I know or more usually an actor) to give the abstract muddle an anchor. In the case of a new character I use the same process in reverse, choosing an 'anchor' (which can sometimes change as I consider the options) and build onto them. I find that having a definite vision of the character as a 'real' person keeps the visual more consistent. Character sketches are handy for fixing costume details and showing to an editor or writer but they often have very little to do with 'the character' and there is always the risk of over-designing the visual to make it fit some trend or fashion that has nothing to do with the 'person' inside the costume.
Kitty Pride was a fairly well established character when I first drew her in Excalibur. I leaned more towards John Byrne and Dave Cockrum's version than John Romita jr's (even though she wore the costume JRjr designed). Chris Claremont's brief was that Kitty was a 'young Katherine Hepburn' and in Excalibur she took a more mature role simply because of the group dynamic-- all affected the way she evolved. AND, this is a crucial part of character design, the characters do evolve as the story develops and the creators become comfortable or focused with the 'personality', so it is important to be flexible while being true to the essential essence.
Kroco

Post by Kroco »

Thanks for this explanation. I understand way better why Woody Allen was a Clan Destine caracter.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I rarely go for such a specific single likeness but in this case I thought the visual association would give Newton an immediate presence and identity that the Woody Allen composites I had initially considered lacked. For much the same reasons I based Gracie on comedian George Burns.

A few others I can recall off the top of my head—
Kay Cera’s current host was a cross between Sade and Sharon Bruneau.
Adam began as Michelangelo’s David.
Brian Braddock-- Garth, Gerald Harper and Dave Draper.
Nightcrawler—Stewart Granger and Rudolph Nureyev.

And there were a couple I wasn’t even aware of myself until years later--
Roma—a young Lorraine Chase
Gatecrasher—Divine (Glen Milstead)
Moonboy

Post by Moonboy »

and recently Travolta as a bodyguard in UXM ?
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

And a Tom Baker dinosaur Doctor Who fan.

... They seemed like a good idea at the time.
Moonboy

Post by Moonboy »

Alan Davis wrote:And a Tom Baker dinosaur Doctor Who fan.

... They seemed like a good idea at the time.
I don't know who is Tom Baker but YES, Travolta as a bodyguard was very fun and appropriate I think :D
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Check out the last 'new' update in the 'Mark farmer Inks' section of my website.

Uncanny 457 page 8 panel 1 if its isn't obvious.
Moonboy

Post by Moonboy »

Done. The Dinosaur face sure looks very humanlike. I have just done an image search on google on Tom Baker (yes I've seen him before) and what can I say? Just another great work from you! Thanks a lot Alan for the tip.