PHOENIX COLOURING CONTEST!

Announcement and results of the Phoenix Colouring Contest. Contest has ended.
Kroco

Re: PHOENIX COLOURING CONTEST!

Post by Kroco »

Come on guys, don"t be so stressed.
If they take more time, it's for making the good choice. It's better to just picked one the eyes closes.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

hey Kroco, the build up is half the fun!
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

Aye! I agree. ^^

Maybe Mr Platis can throw us a small tease and tell us an approximation of how many entries there was, this time?
More? Less? Than the Spirit-contest, I mean.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Predabot wrote:Aye! I agree. ^^

Maybe Mr Platis can throw us a small tease and tell us an approximation of how many entries there was, this time?
More? Less? Than the Spirit-contest, I mean.
There were less entrants this time.
~Matt
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

My apologies for taking so long to announce a winner in the Phoenix colouring contest. The entrant’s pages are now all posted on my ‘Colouring Contest’ link on my website.

So many people had seemed enthusiastic about the idea of a second contest after the Spirit contest that I anticipated more entrants. There were in fact significantly less— but lots of excuses. The main excuse being the absence of a formal alert and that the contest thread could only be accessed by Forum members. So it seemed fair to extend the deadline to accommodate anyone who had genuinely missed out... Most seem to have developed performance anxiety and have gone very quiet.

The second delay was simply due to the quality and diversity of entries. I found it incredibly hard to even decide upon criteria to base my judgement so I called on friends and family to help… But each new opinion made the process more complicated.

There was a virtually unanimous agreement that three entrants seemed far more adept and ‘professional’ than the others so, for better of worse and not wishing to diminish anyone’s status; I finally decided to divide entries into two categories.

In the first category are three highly polished pieces with very little to choose between them. Greg Hooper and Kirk Zan both enhanced the brightness of the Phoenix effect by adding a full dark background which was extremely effective and ‘not against the rules’. Zac attempted to get the same sense of brightness without extending the background but what impressed me most was his efforts to show the Phoenix effect encases Rachel rather than being a shape that is always somehow behind her—which is something I have always thought most colourists missed or messed up. For this reason I used my deciding vote to break the decisional deadlock and declare Zac the winner of this category.

In the second category Josef, Lars Johansson, Shari Q and Vincenzo all attempted to capture the ‘cocooned in light’ effect. David Savini, Juoko, Paulo, Scott Issacson and Vladimir Fiks focused more on bold modelling. Gerry, Greg Cordier, Jaana-Suorsa and Javier Garcia Gomez went for flatter colours—some being subtle and harmonious others vibrant and energetic. By a very narrow majority Greg Cordier’s unusual but colour coordinated entry was chosen to win this category.

Greg will receive the page posted as the prize for this contest and I will contact Zac to arrange another sketch of his preference. As an acknowledgement to the efforts and closeness of the contest I have decided to give all entrants one of the signed ‘Ex-Libris’ limited edition prints-- So entrants should all please send their postal details to the competition e-mail address.

Alan
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

Damn. I didn't win... :( But I'm not a sore loser, because it looks like I might be getting a print after all! :)

Thanks Mr Davis!

I'll send the info ASAP. Now to check out the other entries! :mrgreen:

PS: Will you be holding another contest by christmas-time perhaps? *hint*hint*

EDIT: COOL STUFF! Nice to see that even tho there wasn't as many entries as for the Spirit, there was still more than 15 entries. I guess the Spirit is simply more popular? Huh.

I think one of my own personal favourites is Scott Izaacson, he's using some great contrast and complimentary colours in his version, and the rendering doesn't overpower a single line of the art. It's easy on the eyes as well. Only thing I would personally have liked to see him improve it with, is to increase the brightness a little bit on the flame closest to Rachel. ;)

Another favourite is Vladimir Ficz, who's probably got the best rendering of all of us, IMHO. I dunno' why in the world he put that texture with the galaxy space-shot in the background tho..? Kind of takes me out of it, since there was something else in the lineart there.

Seeing everybody else's entries, I can kind of see wherein I messed up with the shape and contrast-points of the phoenix-effect, but oh well. You learn something new every day.

I kind of wonder why Gerry Turnbull was the only one that signed his entry other than me tho?

Congratulations to Greg and Zac! Great entries both.
Last edited by Predabot on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kroco

Post by Kroco »

Congratulation for the winner.
It's a difficult character to colorise. The brightness is so easely miss.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

congratulations to the winner !
i think everyone should be congratulated, its great to see everyones take, and the different choices they made.
Predabot, which entry is yours?
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

Gerry wrote:congratulations to the winner !
i think everyone should be congratulated, its great to see everyones take, and the different choices they made.
Lars Johansson is my entry. :) The one with the most white in the whole bunch.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Predabot wrote:
Gerry wrote:congratulations to the winner !
Lars Johansson is my entry. :) The one with the most white in the whole bunch.
do other peoples entries give you ideas on tackling it in a different way?
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

Gerry wrote: do other peoples entries give you ideas on tackling it in a different way?
Why certainly. I should have used a whole lot more contrast in my entry. It reads as too washed out right now, when you compare it to the entries next to it.

I probably should have defined things more with the gouche instead of leaving most of the watercolour as-is. And I also sort of missed a bit how the shape of the flame was supposed to be.

I'd love to hear some of your input on my entry, let it rip. :)

Dun' mind if I give some input on yours, right?

I think you had some great anatomy on your cuts, but you kind of let it be a little bit too flat for my tastes. you could have bumped up the dark on the shades a little bit, and you could have flashed up the brightness of the lighted portions as well. And perhaps an extra layer of slightly darker and slightly brighter small cuts of rendering for highlighs and shades. Would have given it a nice sort of animated look.

I'm not sure why you made the flames of the Phoenix darker and redder in the middle, while you made them brighter at the edge? Doesn't fire work the opposite? With the brightest yellow part closest to the combustion/energy -source, and the redder portions farther away, at the edges?

I guess the flame around the Phoenix isn't actually fire tho, but some kind of cosmic or psionic energy-manifestation. Or maybe it's fire but with a psionic or cosmic energy-source.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Congrats to everyone who entered! I was impressed by the amount of talent that is on this board.

I certainly liked Greg's picture. At first I was turned off on the pink flame but the more I saw it, the more I dug it.

Zac's was great because the Phoenix flame looked like it was a part of Rachel and not just in the background.

Again congrats to the winners and everyone who participated!
~Matt
Greg Cordier

Post by Greg Cordier »

Matt,
Thanks! The pink Phoenix flame was something I remembered and loved from the original DarK Phoenix Saga. That was the color of flame used just after Dark Phoenix made a sun go nova and again when she was being "contained" by Professor X.

Lars,
I signed mine too, but just with a subtle pink GC.

I would not have been able to find the gallery without Gerry's help, so I hope you don't mind me posting a link here.

http://www.alandavis-comicart.com/Phoen ... ntest.html

A huge thank you to Mr. Davis for allowing us to color his work. I hope he can find time to allow us to do more of these colorings in the future.
smisaacs

Post by smisaacs »

Congrats to all who won!

Thanks for the compliment predabot. I colored mine the day of the deadline, so if i had more time i would have tried different things with the flame. I was just trying to make the deadline.

Whens the next contest!? Clandestine? Nightcrawler?

Sooo much fun.

-scott
vf65

Post by vf65 »

Congrats to the winners. Great job all.

Vlad