PHOENIX COLOURING CONTEST!

Announcement and results of the Phoenix Colouring Contest. Contest has ended.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

PHOENIX COLOURING CONTEST!

Post by Matt Platis »

Sadly, I received the majority of reaction to the ‘Spirit colour contest’ in discussions at conventions or e-mails directed to my Web site, rather than this Forum where an exchange of ideas and opinions would have been most productive. There were two points of discussion worth clarifying here for entrants, and potential entrants, in the ‘Phoenix colouring contest’.

First, there were people who never entered the ‘Spirit contest’ because they believed they lacked ‘artistic ability’ or ‘technical (digital) experience’ and or hardware/software. To remove the later obstacle, this contest has three alternative versions of the pencil image from which to choose. The light pencils can be manipulated by anyone with digital capabilities. The dark version is for anyone without the capability of darkening the pencils prior to printing a hardcopy to ‘manually’ colour. And the blue-line is for anyone who may like the additional challenge of inking the image, either digitally or manually, prior to colouring it.
The important point to remember is that whether coloured over light or dark pencil or inked blue-line ALL contest entries must be full colour. This is NOT an inking contest.

The second point to clarify is my criteria for selecting the winner of the ‘Spirit contest’. While it may seem that I chose an entrant who simply avoided obscuring ‘my’ linework with dense colour, that wasn’t the reason—a factor yes but not the most important consideration. As I explained when I posted the result…

… Richard Cirrilo’s page certainly wasn’t the most accomplished or technically proficient but he did focus his efforts on the subject of the page while some of the more adept colourists, who produced very dramatic and moody scenes to a professional standard, gave prominence to lighting effects and one or two reduced the Spirit to a near silhouette. I’m sure there will be those who disagree and say that the darker pages are more ‘realistic’ but, as a storyteller, I think Richard’s minimalistic blue and creamy-yellow palette was well chosen and set the right mood without being too dark. The overall retro feel was also appropriate to the Spirit character but what impressed me most was Richard’s rendering of the folds and creases in the Spirit’s suit. This was most successfully executed on the arms and in a style that I thought reminiscent of Eisner’s modelling.

The simple fact is, if I had intended the Spirit figure to be heavily shadowed figure or silhouetted I would have drawn it as such. The only reasons I can imagine why a colourist would obscure the central figure in a composition with dark colour, other than to avoid rendering because they can’t draw (rendering is drawing (painting) with planes and tone, as opposed to line.,) was to deliberately sacrifice the figure in order to show off the relative brightness of a digital glow or lighting effect they had added.
I have often spoken out against current colouring techniques because I believe the majority of professional colourists are basically technicians with a limited bag of pre-programmed digital tricks. (I should emphasise ‘majority’ because there are a few good colourists that actually work to enhance the penciller and inkers efforts). A penciller designs an illustration with a specific narrative purpose much in the same way as an architect designs a building for a precise function and with an innate style. ANY decoration should work to enhance or complement the structural attributes. I am not against the appropriate use of digital effects and I did incorporate a few in one of the three alternate colour roughs I made over the Spirit sketch but applying arbitrary and haphazard effects that go against the blackline is akin to putting florid flock wallpaper on a Pagoda.

I really hope what I have said here doesn’t dissuade anyone from having a go in the ‘Phoenix colour contest’ because my intention is to prove that everyone can and should enter, even if they feel they lack the necessary ‘skills’ because technical proficiency is not a priority. I will judge the colour entries by how it enhances the narrative, character, mood or emotion of the black-line illustration.

Please, give it a go. You may discover abilities you never knew you had.

Alan
The rules are simple. Below you will find the links to where you can download which version you would like to colour.

-The contest begins NOW. It will end in a little over 3 weeks on October 22nd 2008.

-No entrant should post their work (anywhere) until the closing date. This will prevent anyone from copying or downloading and altering another entrant's work. They will be disqualified if we find them.

-The scan of the image is to be coloured is at 300 dpi. This will give all entrants an equal start.

-All colour entries will be posted at the same resolution 72 dpi as RGB files.

-The final colour images should be e-mailed to Alan at his e-mail address. (alandaviscomic @ yahoo.com) The subject line should read "OFFICIAL PHOENIX ENTRY". That way we don't lose any.

-Entrants will need to include your name and e-mail address (e-mail address will NOT be published with the gallery posting). Once a winner is announced, we will contact winner for postal address.

-If you have any questions or concerns, please let Alan or I know. The best way to ask would be to post a question on this thread. Don't be embarrassed or shy in asking, asking your questions pubically on this board will assist everyone.

-Shortly after the closing date, Alan will post all images in a simple gallery for everyone to view. Images will be able to be viewed simultaneously for comparison as thumbnails but they will be capable of being enlarged for a closer look.

-Alan and I reserve the right to deny any inadequate image and disqualify whomever we want for any reason. So no complaining!

-We are not going to post the actual 'prize' image since the modeling Alan has done may present a bias. Basically, the grand prize will be the Phoenix original art. There will also be two runner up prizes this time, for second and third place. The prizes offered will be the limited edition Ex-Libris board mounted image from this years Kultima Convention, which was held in Paris recently, signed by Alan Davis and Mark Farmer. http://www.alandavis-comicart.com/image ... ris_22.jpg

Good luck to everyone! Remember that there really isn't a wrong or right way or approach. This is an exercise of creativity, the object being to encourage diversity in technique and presentation.

http://www.alandavis-forum.com/images/P ... test_1.jpg (light version)

http://www.alandavis-forum.com/images/P ... test_2.jpg (dark version)

http://www.alandavis-forum.com/images/P ... est_3_.jpg (blueline version)
~Matt
Gerry

Re: PHOENIX COLOURING CONTEST!

Post by Gerry »

im looking forward to seeing everyones take on it.
it would have been nice if Alan had given pointers on some of the images entered for the Spirit contest.
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

Hmm... I think I've got some ideas what I'm going to do with this one.. hmm. :)

Just had to come out of lurker-dom to put my hands on this one.
Kroco

Post by Kroco »

Haaaaa...contest :D and a difficult one.
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

So... how's it going for everybody? I've only gotten like 30% into it, myself. :)

I'm trying some new stuff, using a bit of Painter as well as Photoshop.

Mr Platis, do you know if there are more entries than just the 4 of us? Surely there would be lots of entries in a challenge like this.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Predabot wrote:So... how's it going for everybody? I've only gotten like 30% into it, myself. :)

I'm trying some new stuff, using a bit of Painter as well as Photoshop.

Mr Platis, do you know if there are more entries than just the 4 of us? Surely there would be lots of entries in a challenge like this.
I'm not sure how many entries we have so far. I'm going to enter this one this time.
~Matt
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

That's cool Mr Platis, that's cool. :)

I was a bit more far gone then I thought btw... seems like I'm 95% done! :shock:

Feels a bit anticlimactic... Unless I work a bit on the rendering, adding some more contrast.. maybe something more with the cosmic flame.. hmm..

Would be kind of daft not to give it some more polish since the deadline is almost two weeks away.
Kroco

Post by Kroco »

Done :D
That was close :|
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

Hey guys, I recently started the practice of actually signing my work, but there's a small problem here... I'd like to sign my entry, but Mr. Davis forgot to sign it..!! :shock:

It dun' feel right to sign it if Mr. Davis signature isn't right there above mine. Anybody have a high-quality scan of Mr. Davis signature?
Kroco

Post by Kroco »

Well...actually, everybody has one...since he sign the Spirit one :p
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

And for those of us that weren't around for the Spirit-challenge? I've already checked the spirit-thread, and sadly the link Mr Platis posted is no longer working, so I can't get Mr Davis signature from the spirit-thread.

So... Anybody feeling merciful and willing to kindly link me to a scan of Mr Davis signature?
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Predabot wrote:And for those of us that weren't around for the Spirit-challenge? I've already checked the spirit-thread, and sadly the link Mr Platis posted is no longer working, so I can't get Mr Davis signature from the spirit-thread.

So... Anybody feeling merciful and willing to kindly link me to a scan of Mr Davis signature?
Predabot,

Sadly when my old host deleted my account, my old Web site and content was lost. Luckily I had a backup. You can find that pic here: http://www.alandavis-forum.com/images/Spirit.jpg

Matt
~Matt
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

Thanks a whole bunch Mr Platis! That's precisely what the Dr Ordered!
Predabot

Post by Predabot »

Hey, I've got a question? I've decided that I can't improve much else on my old colour-job, since it has a certain quality to it that I don't want to change. So I've got this other idea with somewhat different paints and mediums in mind.

Are you allowed to enter more than one entry per person? Maybe it could be allowed if the two entries are sufficiently different in style and approach?

EDIT: BOOM! Did a bit more rendering, and now I've sent in my entry. ^^ Well, here's to hopin' that it won't get rejected at least.
Kroco

Post by Kroco »

3 days...Yes :p...Only 3 days :D