SPIRIT COLOURING CONTEST!

Announcement and results of the Spirit Colouring Contest. Contest has ended.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

SPIRIT COLOURING CONTEST!

Post by Matt Platis »

Alan has asked me to announce this cool and fun contest!
As anyone familiar with my site will know, I have always requested that my pencil sketches aren’t downloaded to be inked or coloured (Because of instances where the downloads have been used as samples or sold as originals) but after a Spirit sketch I had drawn was coloured and posted online I received e-mails from a few people who wanted the opportunity to post their colour version of the same piece. It seemed unfair to say no to those who had been kind enough to ask permission when an unauthorised colour version was in circulation. Somewhere along the way a suggestion was made, in view of other discussions about the overbearing and artless colouring that ruin so may modern comics, that it might be interesting to see how various colourists might colour the same drawing.

Alan
The rules are simple. In the next post, you will find the piece of art that you can color.

-The contest begins NOW. It will end in 3 weeks on March 12th 2008.

-No entrant should post thier work (anywhere) until the closing date. This will prevent anyone from copying or downloading and altering another entrant's work. They will be disqualified if we find them.

-The scan of the image is to be coloured is at 200 dpi. This will give all entrants an equal start.

-All colour entries will be posted at the same resolution 72 dpi as RGB files.

-The final colour images should be e-mailed to Alan at his e-mail address. (alandaviscomic @ yahoo.com) The subject line should read "OFFICIAL SPIRIT ENTRY". That way we don't lose any.

-Entrants will need to include your name and e-mail address (e-mail address will NOT be published with the gallery posting). Once a winner is announced, we will contact winner for postal address.

-Shortly after the closing date, Alan will post all images in a simple gallery for everyone to view. Images will be able to be viewed simultaneously for comparison as thumbnails but they will be capable of being enlarged for a closer look.

-Alan and I reserve the right to deny any inadequate image and disqualify whomever we want for any reason. So no complaining! :)

Below is the sketch that will be awarded to the contest winner! The Spirit image measures 8 1/4 X 11 3/4. Obviously without the watermark!

Good luck to everyone! Remember that there really isn't a wrong or right way or approach. This is an exercise of creativity, the object being to encourage diversity in technique and presentation.
Last edited by Matt Platis on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Matt
Matt Platis
Site Admin

SPIRIT COLOUR IMAGE

Post by Matt Platis »

Here is the image you can colour:

http://www.platisfamily.com/adforum/image/Spirit.jpg

The image is too big for it to fit nicely here on this thread, so just click on the link.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.
~Matt
Gerry

question

Post by Gerry »

do you want the full 200 dpi file, or the 72 dpi version emailed to alan?
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Re: question

Post by Matt Platis »

Lord Greystoke wrote:do you want the full 200 dpi file, or the 72 dpi version emailed to alan?
E-mail Alan the full 200 dpi file.
~Matt
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Wow, deadline is already here. Hope we'll get to see the entries.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Paulo Pereira wrote:Wow, deadline is already here. Hope we'll get to see the entries.
That was my mistake. It is ending on the 12th.

I can't count... :(
~Matt
sipovino

Post by sipovino »

HAHAHA!! Damn! I just found out about the contest late last night. I woke up this morning and banged out the coloring because I thought today was the deadline. Anyway, I'm excited to see everyone's version. Thanks Alan and Matt for such a fun contest.
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Oh well, on the plus side, CLANDESTINE #2 should be in stores today, right?
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

i wonder if everyone who was going to enter, has already?
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

This has been a tough decision and the cause of some debate in the Davis household but while I, my wife and son each had very different ideas of second and third place choices, we were unanimous that the winner of the Spirit colouring contest should be Richard Cirrilo.

Richard’s page is certainly not the most accomplished or technically proficient but he did focus his efforts on the subject of the page while some of the more adept colourists, who produced very dramatic and moody scenes to a professional standard, gave prominence to lighting effects and one or two reduced the Spirit to a near silhouette. I’m sure there will be those who disagree and say that the darker pages are more ‘realistic’ but, as a storyteller, I think Richard’s minimalistic blue and creamy-yellow palette was well chosen and set the right mood without being too dark. The overall retro feel was also appropriate to the Spirit character but what impressed me most was Richard’s rendering of the folds and creases in the Spirit’s suit. This was most successfully executed on the arms and in a style that I thought reminiscent of Eisner’s modelling.

While I am sure that there are those who will want to discuss or comment on the various entrants work I would remind them that praise for one can sound like criticism of another. One of the reasons I decided to run this contest is because I always aim to encourage others to give drawing, inking or colouring a chance. Anyone who was willing to spend the time and make the effort to make this competition work has my respect.

Alan
bignige

Post by bignige »

Congratulations to Richard Cirillo. Well done mate.
Will a gallery of all submitted art be made available for us to view? I'm really excited about seeing what was submitted.
I'm very grateful to Alan for giving us this opportunity. I've not done anything like this since I was at college (early 90's). I always liked the idea of drawing/inking/colouring comics but was painfully slow at it and never happy with the end result! I hung up my pencils and brushes and turned to a life of graphic design!!
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

Sorry, I neglected to say the gallery is already up on my website.

And please do get your art supplies out of mothballs for the next contest.

Alan
Gerry

congratulations

Post by Gerry »

congratulations to Rich!!
who were your choices for 2nd and 3rd alan?
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Post by Matt Platis »

Congrats Rich!
~Matt
Paulo Pereira

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Wow, lots of cool entries. Congrats to Rich!

(Incidentally, just in case anyone was wondering, the Paulo in that bunch isn't me.)