SPIRIT COLOURING CONTEST!

Announcement and results of the Spirit Colouring Contest. Contest has ended.
sipovino

Post by sipovino »

Congrats Richard! That was a fun contest. I can't wait for the next one!

Thanks Alan,
Victor Gatmaitan
Kroco

Post by Kroco »

Congratulation Rich!
You've make a great job :D
And the other too!

I will wait for the next contest...but now, I gone cry...alone :'(...:p
Fredgri

Post by Fredgri »

"Felicitations" Rich ! :wink:
sipovino

Post by sipovino »

Kroco wrote:Congratulation Rich!
You've make a great job :D
And the other too!

I will wait for the next contest...but now, I gone cry...alone :'(...:p
Don't worry Kroco...I cry along with you.. hehe =.(.. .

-Victor
A.D.fan

Post by A.D.fan »

Another contest! I'm hoping it will be inking or penciling a script! No matter what I did apreciate Mr. Davis doing this![/quote]
phil c.

Post by phil c. »

There is some amazing stuff in here. Congrats to all
I didn't give it a try for two reasons :
1- I own the original piece of art (thanks again Alan) so I didn't want people to think that I took all the time in the world to do the color work
2- I can't color to save my life, and I think this second reason alone is good enough :-)
I hope to see more of this kind of contest soon. An inking contest would be great
Rich Cirillo

Post by Rich Cirillo »

Wow! I am still on cloud nine! Thanks for all the kind words and especially thanks to Alan for giving us all this opportunity and for his incisive comments about my entry. Being a Huge fan of Alan's art since his early days at DC it was a dream to color one of his pieces, let alone have him look at my interpretation of the colors and give me the critique that will only help me grow in my digital skills. There were quite a few other entries that I liked a lot with the colors used and the professional skills they exhibited. I am humbled to have Alan like mine in any way shape or form. I tried very hard to maintain the integrity of his pencils so it remained a Davis piece and not over powered by the colors as a lot of digital art is these days. I just tried to keep the colors as subtle as possible to show the strength of Alan's line work. I have learned a lot through this contest and look forward to other chances to show my work along side so many other vast talents.

Thanks Alan!
A.D.fan

Post by A.D.fan »

Would any of the participants in this contest be willing to talk about their methods and techniques in coloring? It's something I'm interested in learning about. Thanks.
Fredgri

Post by Fredgri »

For my own i use Photoshop in a really basic way, one color with many light and shadow ! I just wanted a "sepia" atmosphere with some cool textures.
If you have some question, don't hesitate !
bignige

Post by bignige »

A.D.fan wrote:Would any of the participants in this contest be willing to talk about their methods and techniques in coloring? It's something I'm interested in learning about. Thanks.
About 2 days before I was aware of this competition my work bought one of these.
http://www.wacom-europe.com/index2.asp?lang=en&pid=96
It has a screen built in to it, and lets you draw/paint directly on to it. I used Corel Painter X as it has a 30 day trial period.
Prior to this competition I had never in my life used the Wacom Cintiq 12wx nor Coral Painter X. A few weeks on and I'm starting to get to grips with both and can't wait for the next competition!!

The only thing I regret is submitting the version with a lens flare effect it really washed out some of the finer detail I'd spent days doing!!
http://www.alandavis-comicart.com/image ... opkins.jpg
A.D.fan

Post by A.D.fan »

Thanks for the replys so far! Wow! These methods seem high tech to me. I would have only been able to use a brush and ink. And the probably would have been flat. Does anyone do it that way?
Rich Cirillo

Post by Rich Cirillo »

I just wanted to publicly thank Alan and his son Tom for sending me the beautiful Spirit original pencil drawing which I received today! The art is even more gorgeous in person as no scan will ever do justice to a pencil sketch with all it's subtle nuances. Thank you again for the opportunity to enter this terrific contest for this wonderful prize!

Rich
sipovino

Post by sipovino »

A.D.fan wrote:Thanks for the replys so far! Wow! These methods seem high tech to me. I would have only been able to use a brush and ink. And the probably would have been flat. Does anyone do it that way?
Fellow from Dirty Jersey! I used Dr.Martin dyes and a camel hair brush back in the day and achieved pretty good results, but like many other artists, I now use the WACOM CINTIQ 21UX and Corel Painter. I find that I can work much faster and cleaner this way. To color my entry Image I used the digital watercolor brush set at simple water. Keep in mind that computer programs are just tools and that the basics of art still remain the same no matter how you draw or paint. Happy coloring! :D

-Victor Gatmaitan[/url]
Jouko

Post by Jouko »

A.D.fan wrote:Thanks for the replys so far! Wow! These methods seem high tech to me. I would have only been able to use a brush and ink. And the probably would have been flat. Does anyone do it that way?
I for one approached this contest more as an inking exercise, as my coloring skills are pretty meager. I drew the image on to a white paper using light box, inked it with a crow quill and brush, and colored the results with markers (what some call nowadays "manga-pens", at least here in Finland :-). Computer coloring is pretty much beyond me, so for me, that was the safest and easiest route... tho I think I lost about 50% of the fine details Mr. Davis put in there.
Predabot

Re: SPIRIT COLOURING CONTEST!

Post by Predabot »

Anybody still have a link to this image? The one Mr Platis posted on the first page doesn't work anymore.

I kind of need it so I can find a high-rez scan of Mr Davis signature. I can't sign the Phoenix-challenge entry without having the signature of the artist there as well..

Please, if anybody has a link to it, post it here.