Holy Moley! Alan Davis coming to a comic con near me!

Find the lastest and greatest about Alan Davis!
DungeonmasterJim

Holy Moley! Alan Davis coming to a comic con near me!

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

I am unbelievably excited that today TerrificCon in the state of Connecticut, USA announced they will be having Alan Davis as a guest. This isn't that far from me - a 90 minute drive by car - so I CAN"T WAIT for August!

Sorry, not trying to brag, just really happy and excited. :)
DungeonmasterJim

Re: Holy Moley! Alan Davis coming to a comic con near me!

Post by DungeonmasterJim »

So the day has come and gone and I got to meet Alan Davis in person. Due to my work schedule and an ocean between us, I never really considered it a reality that I might meet my favorite comic book artist in person so this was a big day for me.

And, of course, I bungled my way through the first couple of minutes of meeting him. As he does some sketches for other fans I browse through the original comic book pages he's brought along for sale and a page of Uncanny X-Men has my all-time favorite character Rachel Summers, Phoenix during the original Excalibur series from Marvel. It fits in my budget and I'm the owner of my first ever page of original art from a professional. So I'm already floating around in a daze of happiness. Then, I get in front of Mr. Davis with my four Excalibur comics I'm hoping he'll sign. With original art in one hand and a small hand held video camera in the other I manage to spill my four comics across his table. Oy. I feel like a complete idiot. Then I ask him to sign the comics with this snazzy gold paint pen to have his signature stand out in gleaming gold for the world to see. And the marker doesn't write for anything on the comic book cover paper. So that idea has to be abandoned. I'm ready for Mr. Davis to throw me out of his table. Thankfully, he does not. Instead, he was totally cool and we shared some bantering conversation. So it was all good and I was ecstatic.

As I walk away I realize that the next table over is Mark Farmer who often inks Alan Davis's artwork. He's kind enough to also sign the page I just bought. But boy, the convention provided the WORST folding chairs for their guests. The plastic things look like they had been left outside for a few years and have the stains to prove it. Good grief! I don't blame Mr. Farmer for complaining about them. One of my friends had a table also and got the same weathered and stained chair.

I go away for awhile talking with friends I discover attending the con as well. I decide I'd like to get more comics signed and try again for a better video. I find some original series Excalibur in a 4 for a $1 box. Shameful for such a good series but in this case it's to my benefit. I hop back in line after a trip to my car to unload my other stuff. I buy a second page of artwork because now I'm addicted to buying original pages. This time everything goes much more smoothly. Mr. Davis teases me asking if the cap is off my camera. I check it JUST in case even though I manged to lose the cap a few weeks ago. I didn't bother even trying the gold pen this time around.

So all in all it was a pretty awesome experience for me and I'll be framing and hanging the two pages I purchased on my wall. :)