CAPTAIN BRITAIN OMNIBUS -- oh, yeah !!!!

Find the lastest and greatest about Alan Davis!
Rom2099

CAPTAIN BRITAIN OMNIBUS -- oh, yeah !!!!

Post by Rom2099 »

Just picked up the beautiful Omnibus edition of Captain Britain. I've only flicked through it, but it is truly magnificent to behold. I can't wait to have he free hours to enjoy it.

Any one else pick it up? Amazon.com has a great price on it, but the direct market edition has the best cover. My LCS matched Amazon's price for me on the direct edition.
Matt Platis
Site Admin

Re: CAPTAIN BRITAIN OMNIBUS -- oh, yeah !!!!

Post by Matt Platis »

Rom2099 wrote:Just picked up the beautiful Omnibus edition of Captain Britain. I've only flicked through it, but it is truly magnificent to behold. I can't wait to have he free hours to enjoy it.

Any one else pick it up? Amazon.com has a great price on it, but the direct market edition has the best cover. My LCS matched Amazon's price for me on the direct edition.
I cannot wait to get my grubby little hands on this monster! I ordered mine online through mailordercomics and got a pretty decent price for it. I only get my comics once a month so I won't have it in my possession until the end of the month. :cry:
~Matt
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

mine arrived today.It's a thing of wonder !ive still got a load of the original appearances, its nice though to have it all collected.The supplementary material is greta too !
Joe Aten

Post by Joe Aten »

What kind of supplemental material is in the book? I have all the issues contained, as well as the 2 previously published CB TPB's, so I'm kind of on the fence whether or not to pick this volume up. Definitely want to support it, but that hefty price tag....
Rom2099

Post by Rom2099 »

I should post an image of my "direct market" edition cover. A thing of beauty !!!

Raj

Post by Raj »

If I wish I'd known they'd done an edition with his original costume. I'd have got that.
Rom2099

Post by Rom2099 »

Raj wrote:If I wish I'd known they'd done an edition with his original costume. I'd have got that.

I'm sure it's readily available form any LCS. (via order)
Raj

Post by Raj »

Rom2099 wrote:[
I'm sure it's readily available form any LCS. (via order)
No doubt but I already have a copy with the "new" costume. I also own all the original comics and some of the previous reprints, so it's about to time to stop.
I'm more interested in getting the reprints that Panini are doing of the Black Knight strip that appeared in Hulk Comic (from Marvel UK) with art by John Stokes and written by Steve Parkhouse. This was the strip that directly preceeded Cap's return in (the UK) Marvel Superheroes 377.
I'd also like to see reprints of the UK originated SHIELD and Hulk strips that appeared in Hulk Comic. They had artwork by Steve Dillon and John Bolton on them. I can't remember who wrote them off-hand.
Cesare the Sleepwalker

Post by Cesare the Sleepwalker »

Does anyone know which has the higher printing run of the two books?

At first, I was assuming the direct market version (old costume) would have a lower printing run, in part due to so many people ordering the other version from amazon.com.............But then I figured not many regular bookstores would order a $100 comic book hardcover, so if most comic shops ordered the book, then there could possibly be a higher printing run of the direct market version.
Ilke

Post by Ilke »

Joe Aten wrote:What kind of supplemental material is in the book? I have all the issues contained, as well as the 2 previously published CB TPB's, so I'm kind of on the fence whether or not to pick this volume up. Definitely want to support it, but that hefty price tag....
It's noted by KC Carlson at the link below that the CB Omnibus "contains over 60 pages of extra material, including Davis’s costume redesign sketches, a reprinted prose history of Captain Britain written by Moore, poster images by Davis, related back-up features, alternative artwork, reprinted covers and features from previous collections, and full-page reproductions of both Alan Davis covers for the Omnibus (original costume or Davis’ re-design)."

http://westfieldcomics.com/blog/intervi ... n-omnibus/

KC also notes that, with respect to Marvel Super-Heroes #377, "Davis was so new to comics that in this early story, he neglected to leave enough room for dialog, and the story originally had to be reconfigured for more room for the words. (Interestingly, both versions of this story are included in the Omnibus)."
Joe Aten

Post by Joe Aten »

Ilke, thanks for the info. That pretty much sealed the deal to put it on order. Appreciate it!
Ilke

Post by Ilke »

A note that, as shown at ICv2, the Captain Britain Omnibus ranked #103 in the 'Top 300 Graphic Novels' chart for July 2009. This chart lists "estimates of the sales on graphic novels by Diamond U.S. to comic specialty stores" during July.

1,197 copies of the Omnibus were estimated to have been sold to comic stores that month; if one looks at dollar sales instead of unit sales, the Omnibus jumps up to the #8 ranking (I believe) because of its hefty price tag.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15634.html
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

The quality of the Captain Britain book is all due to the efforts of Mark Beazley. He did everything he could to locate the best possible images and made some fairly extensive restorations to the files. In particular, all of the toned panels in the story ‘A rag, a Bone, a hank of hair...’ were reshot and recoloured-- and are superior to any previous publication.

One or two sharp eyed readers also noticed a change made in the Excalibur Visionaries book, on page 166, where Kylun demonstrates his ability for super mimicry. The original size and positioning of the sound effects had annoyed me ever since the book saw print so it was satisfying to finally see them all enlarged and repositioned.
Thanks also to Gary Land for supplying a high res copy from the original art.

Alan
ronaldweasley

Post by ronaldweasley »

I bought the Captain Britain graphic novel which collected the end of Mr. Davis's run on that title back in the 80's. I loved it and particularly the parts he wrote himself. I read this book, followed by Excalibur many times, until my copy of Captain Britain was falling apart. It was really terrific. But I was left wondering about all the things that happened before-like what happened to Jackdaw, what was the Jasper's Warp, who was the Prime Executive, and particularly, what happened to the Fury-who I instantly loved and was very intrigued by.

I was quite excited to see the Fury appear in the X-Men (featuring Mr. Davis's art) but still I wanted to see those early issues of Captain Britain to get the full story. British comics are hard to come by in the States. And Marvel even put out X-Men Archives which featured the Captain Britain tales of long ago, but I could never find issue one anywhere.

So when I saw the Captain Britain Omnibus advertised on the Borders Books Website-I almost flipped. I saved for months and finally managed to order it. It did not disappoint. The Fury is my favorite creation of Mr. Davis, with Meggan, Wallop, the Crimson Crusader, Imp and the Technet tying for second. The Omnibus was absolutely terrific. Loads of fun to read and so large it lasted a long time. I highly recommend it.

I am so glad they finally made those great comics available to those of us who missed them.
Raj

Post by Raj »

The stories prior to the omnibus are now available. They've been published by Panini in the UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Britain ... 594&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Britain ... y_b_text_c