Re-drawn images for Fall of the Mutants and Old Soldiers

Find the lastest and greatest about Alan Davis!
Ilke

Re-drawn images for Fall of the Mutants and Old Soldiers

Post by Ilke »

The covers for X-Men: The Fall of the Mutants TPB and X-Men: Old Soldiers TPB appear to be re-drawn images, even though the art for these covers have been attributed to Alan Davis in the credits section of these trades.

I've provided links to compare the original art by Alan and Paul Neary with the covers for these trades. Unless they used Alan's original pencils, and had someone other than Paul ink them (which I doubt), I would say the art on these TPB covers are traced images. The final ink lines just don't match up, especially evident in Storm's arm and Cyclops' visor in the Fall of the Mutants piece.

www.alandavis-comicart.com/images/WMutantMass.jpg

www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=1081

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/b ... 6288%20213

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/b ... 260021%201

Some additional points:

- The cover for X-Men: The Fall of the Mutants TPB is solely attributed to Alan in the credits section of the trade (no mention of Neary), while the cover for X-Men: Old Soldiers TPB is attributed to Davis and Neary.

- The re-drawn 'Fall of the Mutants' piece was also printed in Essential X-Men Vol.7 and in the gallery section of X-Men: Old Soldiers TPB.

- The re-drawn piece used as the cover of X-Men: Old Soldiers TPB was, in fact, the art that saw print in X-Men Poster Book (released May 17th); I had previously posted that the Davis/Neary art for the cover of Uncanny X-Men #213 saw print in this poster book, which is incorrect.
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

I haven't seen any of the publications involved so I can only repeat what I have been told by Marvel editorial... which is, both of the re-inked covers were produced prior to the promise I was given that no 'reconditioned' art would be credited to me. Apparently, the Fall of the Mutants page was re-inked as much as five years ago.

I accept that the editors involved believe they were being fair in ensuring I was credited for any image 'resourced' from my work but I have made it clear that I would rather not be given credit for images which, in the absence of the original art or copies of same, require extensive reconstruction.

Alan
poison_mouth

Post by poison_mouth »

I don't understand why Marvel felt that those pictures needed re-inking. :?
Alan Davis
Creator

Post by Alan Davis »

In some cases it is that Marvel no longer has film of the original art so the 're-inked' art is traced from a published image. In other instances, the figure was incomplete in the original art (cropped or overlapped) or requires some sort of revision (enlarging)-- both of which applied to the Albion figure I posted on my website homepage as 'Credit where credit's due'.

Alan
Darren Taylor

Post by Darren Taylor »

Alan Davis wrote:In some cases it is that Marvel no longer has film of the original art so the 're-inked' art is traced from a published image. In other instances, the figure was incomplete in the original art (cropped or overlapped) or requires some sort of revision (enlarging)-- both of which applied to the Albion figure I posted on my website homepage as 'Credit where credit's due'.

Alan
I take it that this is a cheaper option than just going back to the artists involved and asking if they would do a new Cover or touch up themselves?

ooo, sorry that last bit sounds a little rude:-( But you know what I mean.

Regards,

Darren.